My mortgage lender changed hands in 2018. I am trying to correctly enter the 1098 forms and the software is having an issue with how I enter this.

In the first 1098, I have a value in box 2 for the 1/1/2018 balance and on the same statement, I have a "transferred balance", this would not be the year end value. In the second 1098, I have no value in box 2, as the transfer to the second lender happened after 1/1/18, but  I do have a year end value that I can give. If I enter the first 1098 with the beginning balance and transferred balance and the second by leaving the 1/1/2018 balance empty and entering just the year end balance, I have one error for leaving box 2 empty in the second 1098. If I leave the ending balance on the first 1098 and the 1/1/2018 opening balance empty on the second 1098, I then have two errors that Turbo Tax wants to review, the closing on  the first, and the opening on the second. Either method I use, the worksheet on the second Home Int Wkst shows a Principal applied of a negative value. This is not correct. What method should I use to fix this. This is not a tax question, it seems to be an issue with the way the software is built, or is there a way to fix it?

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default