My employer provided housing.Cost for the housing was in each paycheck as an entitlement and immediately deducted. Amount included in wages on my w2.How do I list this?

Employer provided housing overseas.  Housing was included in my pay as entitlement, then immediate deduction.  This amount is included as part of my total wages for the year on my w2.  Greatly increases my AGI.  How do i report it as not being part of my income?

Answer

Sorry, it is included in your taxable income.

Anything you receive of value for performing work for your employer is part of your taxable income, unless it falls into one of the categories of benefits with tax privileges (like medical insurance). That includes the value of employer-provided housing.   

There is an exception if the employer requires you to live on their premises.

When an employer provides housing or lodging for an employee, the employee may be able to exclude the value of the lodging from gross income. The lodging must meet three tests under Regs. Sec. 1.119-1(b): (1) The lodging must be on the employer's business premises; (2) the employer must provide the lodging for the employer's convenience rather than for the employee's convenience; and (3) the employer must require the employee to accept the lodging as a condition of employment. Thus, the employee must need to live in the lodging to be able to perform the duties of the employment.

Before the tax reform act of 2018, employees could deduct housing costs for some kinds of temporary assignments.  However, this deduction was eliminated in the tax reform act.  So you owe the tax on the value of the housing.  On the bright side, paying 22% of your rent is better than paying 100% of your rent.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default