Taxes withheld wrong state for 6 months how do I get refund for the difference?

I recently discovered that my state income taxes have been withheld from the wrong state. I work a traveling position where I work in different states.

I lived in Oregon until I moved in May of 2018. From then on I lived in Indiana. However my paychecks kept withholding me for Oregon State Income Tax. Since I had never changed it. I just noticed this now. This has been about 7 months of it going on this way.

I changed my address to Indiana for my withholding form. The next paychecks should be fine.

Now I will owe Indiana money, but it was with held for Oregon which is going to be much more since it is 9% in Oregon vs 3% in Indiana. How do I recoup this difference of money that was taken out.

I do have a receipt that shows I moved in May.

Answer

Since you employer has already sent the money to Oregon, you will have to get the refund from Oregon by filing a Oregon tax return, which you will have to do anyway since you do have 5 months of Oregon income.    If too much Oregon tax was withheld to cover that 5 months, the excess will be refunded.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default