i have a 1099misc from an S corporation that is a distribution of royalty payment received. My understanding is that that qualifies as a long term capital gain. Correct?

I have a 1099Misc from an S Corporation in Texas. I am president of the corporation and I received a royalty distribution from the corp.  My understanding is that this qualifies as a long term capital gain.  How do I report this on TurboTax?

Answer

you say the S Corp received the royalty payment and then made a distribution to you. if so, it should be the one reporting the income on its the tax return and on the K-1 for shareholders.  As to capital gain status can't tell you, but most royalties are not capital gain so please advise as to the nature of the royalty.    The S Corp should not have issued the 1099 MISC because what you got appears to be a distribution of income  - a dividend that is generally not reported to the IRS on a 1099 but only as a distribution on the K-1.        

you probably should seek professional help to make sure of proper reporting both for the corp and for the shareholders.      

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
TaxPro+40 , Business Owner
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Ttse