Do I have to pay self-employment tax on 83(b) election in an LLC?

I joined a startup (an LLC) in 2017, and was granted shares that vest over a period of time.  The total value of those shares as reported by the company was around $25,000 (the numbers below are simplified for illustration).  I filed an 83(b) election within the required timeframe.

In January, I received a K1 that had box 4 as $25,000 (guaranteed payments), a bit of a loss, and box 14 of 24,000 in "self-employment earnings (loss)"

I understand that this is treated as ordinary income, but TurboTax is also flowing it into Schedule SE, where I'm also being asked to pay north of $3,000 in self-employment tax.

Is this right? I am paying both income and self-employment tax for an election?  In a different type of corporate structure, if there were an 83(b) election made, wouldn't I just pay income tax on the $24,000?

If it is accurate, can I then deduct expenses like home office (it's legit) and against this supposed self-employment income?

Answer

I am not an accountant or an attorney, but page 10 of this reference would seem to support TurboTax's handling of that income:  http://apps.americanbar.org/buslaw/committees/CL690000pub/newsletter/200907/richter.pdf

You may want to consult the LLC's accountant with your questions.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Ttse