Due to an error, I had to resubmit my form 8379, IRS sent me 2 letters. One said they already adjusted my account, the other said they never received the resubmission

In submitted my first form 8379 for injured spouse in April but since I forgot to sign the said form, the IRS returned to me for a signature. I mailed the new, signed form  on June 24th (deadline was July 7th). 

Today I received two letters in the mails, both dated July 30th: 

-The first one said: 

"+SSN: (mine)

+Tax period: Dec 31st, 2017 

+Form: 1040X 

Thank you for your amended return. 

We have adjusted your account as you requested."

-The second letter: 

"+SSN: mine

+Kind of tax: Individual income

+Amount claim: my full, original amount

+Date claim received: April 9th, 2018

+Tax period: Dec 31st, 2017

We wrote to you earlier requesting you resubmit your form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation with your signature). Since we did not receive this information within the allocated time, we are now close your case. "

So what does this mean? If they never received my new form, why would I have an "amended return" mentioned on the first letter; and if they did get my resubmission, why would they sent the second letter? Can this be a mistake?

Answer

All you can do now is mail in the 8379 form  now and then wait 11 weeks or more. 

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
Member

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default