I under-reported the cost basis for ESPP and RSU sales on prior returns. The changes will only affect my capital loss carryovers. Do I need to amend those returns?

I recently discovered that I significantly under-reported the cost basis information for my ESPP and RSU sales in 2014 and 2017. Correcting that information does not change the tax due or tax refund for either year, but it does significantly impact my capital loss carryovers. I have two questions: 

1) Do I need to amend my 2014 and 2017 returns and attach a corrected Schedule D and Form 8949? 

2) Do I need to amend my 2015 and 2016 returns because the capital loss carryover change spills into those years? Again, the actual tax owed is not impacted, but the lines on Schedule D regarding capital loss carryovers have changed.

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default