Which forms do I need for filing 2016 taxes for self employed sole proprietorship through SSN?

You'll notice this is a late filing. I'll be doing 2017 through TurboTax online software but I prefer to do 2016 manually for added control. 

For the 2016 year I operated an online resale business, classed as a sole proprietorship and attached to my individual SSN instead of an EIN. I never sent Estimated Quarterly Tax Payments, I did file an extension which ran its course some time ago, and I had coverage through the Healthcare.gov Marketplace for approximately 4 months. From my research, I've found that I need the following forms: 

Form 1040

Form 1040-ES

Schedule C [1040]

Schedule SE [1040]

Form 8965

Form 944

Form 2210

Please advise if I'm missing anything. 

Answer

You cannot use online software to prepare a 2016 tax return.  Only desktop software can be used for a 2016 return.  You will have Forms mode in desktop software so you can switch to Forms and see them while you work as desired.

Online preparation and e-filing for 2016 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

Only a 2017 return can be prepared online and e-filed. 

If you need to prepare a return for 2014, 2015, or 2016 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default