Do I have to recapture depreciation for 31 years if I bought in 1987 and sell in 2018?

I have lived in my house since 1987 and took all tax deductions every year.  In 2009 I started to rent out rooms and reported rental income but still lived in the house full time until now.

My house is in preforeclosure and I am preparing to sell before it gets auctioned off.  I am trying to calculate the optimal selling price to avoid paying too much taxes or to have enough money to pay the enormous taxes! 

The base is only $200,000.  The selling price at FMV will be about $1,800,000.  I owe the bank about $1,400,000, including property taxes and insurance, interest, fines, fees, escrow etc. since September 2009.  I have fought bitterly in court to get a loan modification, but to no avail. The bank has consistently delayed proceedings over and over again.  Now the court has ordered a referee to compute the entire debt which, of course, has accrued enormously over the years.  

Some of that debt  - property taxes, insurance, interest - will be deductible, I suppose.  It's probably about $100,000 of the total debt.

If I pay the bank the entire $1,400,000, I will gain about $400,000 after sale.  I believe that I am eligible for $250,000 capital gains exclusion.  But the recaptured depreciation will count as taxable income.  Also, if the bank reduces the debt at all in settlement, that reduction amount is also taxable income.

I am trying to develop the best possible strategy for me so that I come out with something after sale and after repaying the bank.  I need to calculate the best sale price, which may not necessarily be the highest one.



1 person found this helpful

If you only rented the room out starting in 2009, you would only have depreciation recapture on the amounts take since 2009.

This would then be recaptured if there is a gain on the sale.

The gain for tax purposes has nothing to do with the loan amount.

The gain to computed as follows:

Sales price less selling expenses (closing costs, sales commissions etc) = Net sales price. 

Cost of home when purchased plus major improvements over the last 31 years is your cost of the home.

Net Sales Price - Cost basis (purchae price plus improvments) = Gain.

Then the gain if single up to $250,000 can be excluded from income on a personal residence. 

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
TurboTax TaxPro

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community