Hi, I've bought a Certificate of Deposit in a foreign account and had losses due to currency devaluation during the time I held it, can I report this as a capital loss?


No, do not report it as a capital loss, but as a loss of income per the below:

Yes, you can report your loss on your foreign currency conversion by following the steps below:

  1. Select Personal taxes
  2. Select Wages & income
  3. Select I'll choose what I work on
  4. Scroll to the section Less common income
  5. Select the line that reads Misc income 1099-A 1099-C
  6. Select the line Other Reportable Income

You will then add an item titled "Loss on foreign currency transactions." and enter the loss as a negative amount.

You may use the average exchange rate of 2015 or the exchange rate on the date you changed the money.



Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
TurboTax TaxPro

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community