I amended my taxes before I received my approved return. Should I have done that? What should I do next?

Answer

Your tax return was “just filed” or accepted, but you went back to it and “amended” by adding or changing something and you “e-filed” the changes?

That is not how to amend your return.  If you changed anything on your “just-filed” or already accepted return, and then “e-filed” the changes, those changes went nowhere.

When you amend a return you need to be working from the return as it was originally, so restore those “changes” you made to the way your return was before you tried to “fix” it.

The way to amend your tax return is to wait for it to be fully processed and you have received your refund.  Then you can use a form called the 1040X to prepare an amended tax return to add a W-2, your student loan interest, a 1099R, or whatever else you originally forgot to include.  (or to change a dependent’s status, etc.)

Amend 2017

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed?...

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community