My W-2 is wrong.

In 2017, my employer classified me as an independent contractor and paid me as such, i.e. each paycheck had no federal/state taxes withheld, no payments for FICA and Medicare, etc. After a dispute, they issued me a W-2 for 2017 that does not match my pay stubs. The W-2 showed federal/state tax withheld, Medicare tax paid, etc. None of this actually happened. I asked payroll and they said they took my wages and added the taxes that should have been made as a W-2 employee. This sounds wrong! Shouldn't I have just received a W-2 with my wages (whatever is reported on my pay stub) and federal/state tax of $0?

Answer

3 people found this helpful

If you believe your W-2 is wrong, you will need to contact your employer for clarification. If you still think that the information is incorrect and you are unable to receive a correct W-2, Call the IRS. If you are unable to get a copy from your employer, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 after Feb. 23. The IRS will send a letter to your employer on your behalf. You’ll need the following when you call:

• Your name, address, Social Security number and phone number;
  • Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
  • The dates you worked for the employer; and
  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2017. You can use your final pay stub for these amounts.

What if my W-2 is incorrect or I get a W-2C instead?

If your name, Social Security number, or any dollar amount is incorrect, ask your employer to issue a corrected W-2. Your employer will give you a copy of the corrected W-2 (W-2C) and send a corrected copy to the Social Security Administration.

Your employer (or your employer's payroll company) will send you a W-2C if information reported on your original W-2 needs to be corrected.

Form W-2C typically reports information in two columns: "previously reported" and "correct information". You will need to make sure that the information from the "correct information" column on your W-2C is what is ultimately reported as your W-2 information.

If you already imported your uncorrected W-2, you may need to edit your W-2 in TurboTax to match the "correct information" column on your W-2C.

Carefully compare your imported W-2 in TurboTax to your W-2C to verify that TurboTax has received the corrected information. If a change is necessary, you can enter the change directly on your W-2 in TurboTax.

Can I e-file with a W-2C or a substitute W-2?

You can e-file your return with a W-2C. However, you cannot e-file your return if you use a substitute W-2. You must print the form, fill it out and mail it to the IRS along with your return. 

Should your employer send you a W-2 or W-2C after you file that differs from what you estimated, you should amend your return.

If I have a W-2 and a W-2C do I enter both or just the W-2C?

If a W-2C was issued by your employer to correct information on your original W-2 then only enter the information from the W-2C.

If, however, you have a W-2 from one employer and a W-2C from another employer, then enter both W-2s. TurboTax will total the income from both employers.

If you need additional information please select the following links:

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/employer/w2cinfo.htm

https://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources/Tools-&-FAQs/FAQs-for-Individuals/Frequently-Asked-Tax-Question...

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
TurboTax Tax Support Agent

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default