My W-2 is wrong.

In 2017, my employer classified me as an independent contractor and paid me as such, i.e. each paycheck had no federal/state taxes withheld, no payments for FICA and Medicare, etc. After a dispute, they issued me a W-2 for 2017 that does not match my pay stubs. The W-2 showed federal/state tax withheld, Medicare tax paid, etc. None of this actually happened. I asked payroll and they said they took my wages and added the taxes that should have been made as a W-2 employee. This sounds wrong! Shouldn't I have just received a W-2 with my wages (whatever is reported on my pay stub) and federal/state tax of $0?


7 people found this helpful

If you believe your W-2 is wrong, you will need to contact your employer for clarification. If you still think that the information is incorrect and you are unable to receive a correct W-2, Call the IRS. If you are unable to get a copy from your employer, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 after Feb. 23. The IRS will send a letter to your employer on your behalf. You’ll need the following when you call:

  • Your name, address, Social Security number and phone number;
  • Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
  • The dates you worked for the employer; and
  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2017. You can use your final pay stub for these amounts.

What if my W-2 is incorrect or I get a W-2C instead?

If your name, Social Security number, or any dollar amount is incorrect, ask your employer to issue a corrected W-2. Your employer will give you a copy of the corrected W-2 (W-2C) and send a corrected copy to the Social Security Administration.

Your employer (or your employer's payroll company) will send you a W-2C if information reported on your original W-2 needs to be corrected.

Form W-2C typically reports information in two columns: "previously reported" and "correct information". You will need to make sure that the information from the "correct information" column on your W-2C is what is ultimately reported as your W-2 information.

If you already imported your uncorrected W-2, you may need to edit your W-2 in TurboTax to match the "correct information" column on your W-2C.

Carefully compare your imported W-2 in TurboTax to your W-2C to verify that TurboTax has received the corrected information. If a change is necessary, you can enter the change directly on your W-2 in TurboTax.

Can I e-file with a W-2C or a substitute W-2?

You can e-file your return with a W-2C. However, you cannot e-file your return if you use a substitute W-2. You must print the form, fill it out and mail it to the IRS along with your return. 

Should your employer send you a W-2 or W-2C after you file that differs from what you estimated, you should amend your return.

If I have a W-2 and a W-2C do I enter both or just the W-2C?

If a W-2C was issued by your employer to correct information on your original W-2 then only enter the information from the W-2C.

If, however, you have a W-2 from one employer and a W-2C from another employer, then enter both W-2s. TurboTax will total the income from both employers.

If you need additional information please select the following links:

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
TurboTax Tax Support Agent

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community