2016 Federal Form 8396 Mortgage Interest Credit Amend Instructions
Certain taxpayers who filed federal Form 8396 for a mortgage interest credit may need to amend their federal tax return. Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure your return is complete and accurate.
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your tax return prior to June 12, 2017 AND
- You filed Form 8396 for the Mortgage Interest Credit
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your federal tax. You may need to amend your federal tax return.
What you need to do:
- You can amend your return yourself:
- After the changes are made to your return, you will need to mail the amended return.
- We're here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at 1-877-216-2138 to reach an agent who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Tell the agent you're calling about: 2016 Form 8396 Mortgage Interest Credit.
Remember to keep a copy of your amended return in your tax files.
Filing an amended return is free. In addition, as a part of our Accurate Calculation Guarantee, TurboTax will reimburse you for any penalties or interest you are assessed as a result of this error. You can find additional information about our Accurate Calculation Guarantee by clicking on this link TurboTax Accurate Calculation Guarantee . If for any reason you are not satisfied with TurboTax as a result of this issue, we will refund your purchase price.
We apologize if this situation applies to you. If you have additional questions, please contact us at 1-877-216-2138.