2016 Iowa Cancelled Debt Principal Residence Amend Instructions
Certain taxpayers who had income from cancellation of debt on their principal residence may need to amend their Iowa state tax return. Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure your return is complete and accurate.
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Iowa state tax return prior to August 10, 2017 AND
- You had income from cancellation of debt on your principal residence
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your state tax return.
What you need to do:
· You can amend your return yourself:
· After the changes are made to your return, you will need to mail the amended return. We're here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at 1-877-216-2138 to reach an agent who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Tell the agent you're calling about: 2016 Iowa Cancelled Debt Principal Residence.
· Remember to keep a copy of your amended state return in your tax files.
Filing an amended return is free. In addition, as a part of our Accurate Calculation Guarantee, TurboTax will reimburse you for any penalties or interest you are assessed as a result of this error. You can find additional information about our Accurate Calculation Guarantee by clicking on this link TurboTax Accurate Calculation Guarantee . If for any reason you are not satisfied with TurboTax as a result of this issue, we will refund your purchase price.
We apologize if this situation applies to you. If you have additional questions, please contact us at 1-877-216-2138.