2016 Alabama Certain Business Expenses Amend Instructions
Taxpayers who had certain Alabama business expenses may need to amend their state tax return. You have some choices to make, and you may want to file an amended Alabama state return, though you are not required to do so.
We continuously strive to provide correct and accurate calculations in our TurboTax products. Sometimes that effort results in our finding errors after returns have been filed. Because of an error in a TurboTax calculation, a small number of Alabama taxpayers who filed an Alabama Schedule A may have inadvertently filed a tax return that left off a deduction, leading to an overpayment of tax. Your return may be one of the ones with an error. Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure you have the information to determine if your returns are complete and accurate.
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Alabama state tax return prior to July 27, 2017 AND
- You had unreimbursed business expenses of performing artists, reservists or fee-basis government officials on the federal return
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax and may choose to amend your state tax return.
What you need to do:
- You can amend your return yourself:
- After the changes are made to your return, you will need to mail the amended return.
- We're here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at 1-877-216-2138 to reach an agent who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Tell the agent you're calling about: 2016 Alabama Certain Business Expenses.