2016 Alabama Educator Expenses Amend Instructions
We continuously strive to provide correct and accurate calculations in our TurboTax products. Sometimes that effort results in our finding errors after returns have been filed. Because of an error in a TurboTax calculation, a small number of Alabama taxpayers who filed an Alabama Schedule A may have inadvertently filed a tax return that left off a deduction, leading to an overpayment of tax. Your return may be one of the ones with an error. Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure you have the information to determine if your returns are complete and accurate.
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Alabama state tax return prior to July 27, 2017 AND
- You had educator expenses on the federal return AND
- You itemized deductions on your Alabama return AND
- Your miscellaneous deductions exceeded 2% of Alabama Adjusted Gross Income
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax approximately $20 to $25 and may choose to amend your state tax return.
What you need to do:
- You can amend your return yourself:
- After the changes are made to your return, you will need to mail the amended return.
- We're here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at 1-877-216-2138 to reach an agent who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Tell the agent you're calling about: 2016 Alabama Educator Expenses.
Remember to keep a copy of your amended return in your tax files.
Filing an amended return is free. We very much hope that you are not unhappy because we’ve found a potential additional refund. Of course, we wish it had been calculated correctly in the first place. If for any reason you are not satisfied with TurboTax as a result of this issue, we will refund your purchase price.
We apologize if this situation has caused you any inconvenience. If you have additional questions, please contact us at 1-877-216-2138.