TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

2016 Alabama Educator Expenses Amend Instructions

Certain taxpayers who filed Alabama Schedule A may need to amend their Alabama state tax return.  You have some choices to make, and you may want to file an amended Alabama state return, though you are not required to do so. 

We continuously strive to provide correct and accurate calculations in our TurboTax products.  Sometimes that effort results in our finding errors after returns have been filed.  Because of an error in a TurboTax calculation, a small number of Alabama taxpayers who filed an Alabama Schedule A may have inadvertently filed a tax return that left off a deduction, leading to an overpayment of tax. Your return may be one of the ones with an error.  Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure you have the information to determine if your returns are complete and accurate.

You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:

  • You filed your Alabama state tax return prior to July 27, 2017 AND
  • You had educator expenses on the federal return AND
  • You itemized deductions on your Alabama return AND
  • Your miscellaneous deductions exceeded 2% of Alabama Adjusted Gross Income

If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax approximately $20 to $25 and may choose to amend your state tax return.

What you need to do:

Remember to keep a copy of your amended return in your tax files.

Filing an amended return is free.  We very much hope that you are not unhappy because we’ve found a potential additional refund.  Of course, we wish it had been calculated correctly in the first place.  If for any reason you are not satisfied with TurboTax as a result of this issue, we will refund your purchase price.

We apologize if this situation has caused you any inconvenience.  If you have additional questions, please contact us at 1-877-216-2138.