2016 Iowa: Federal Tax Withholding Deduction Amend Instructions
Certain married taxpayers filing separately on a combined return in Iowa, with federal tax withheld from certain income, may need to amend their tax return. Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure your return is complete and accurate.
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed Married Filing Separately on a Combined Return in Iowa AND
- You filed your state tax return prior to August 18, 2017 AND
- Your spouse had federal tax withheld from their Social Security income, interest income and/or dividend income
If you are affected, your state tax may be misreported. You may need to amend your Iowa state tax return.
What you need to do:
- You can amend your return yourself:
- After the changes are made to your return, you will need to mail the amended return.
- We're here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at 1-877-216-2138 to reach an agent who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Tell the agent you're calling about: 2016 Iowa: Federal Tax Withholding Deduction.
Remember to keep a copy of your amended state return in your tax files.
Filing an amended return is free. In addition, as a part of our Accurate Calculation Guarantee, TurboTax will reimburse you for any penalties or interest you are assessed as a result of this error. You can find additional information about our Accurate Calculation Guarantee by clicking on this link: TurboTax Accurate Calculation Guarantee If for any reason you are not satisfied with TurboTax as a result of this issue, we will refund your purchase price.
We apologize if this situation applies to you. If you have additional questions, please contact us at 1-877-216-2138.