TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

2016 Filing Status with Parent Dependent Amend Instructions

Certain married taxpayers filing separately from their spouse and claiming a parent as a dependent, may need to amend their federal and state tax returns.  Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure your returns are complete and accurate.

You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:

  •          You filed your tax returns prior to February 13, 2017 AND

  •          You are married, but lived apart from your spouse during 2016 AND

  •          You filed separately from your spouse in 2016 AND

  •          You claimed your parent as your dependent


If you are affected, you may have underpaid your federal and state tax. You may need to amend your federal and state tax returns.  

What you need to do:

You can call us at 1-877-216-2138 to reach an agent who is prepared to assist you with this issue.  Tell the agent you're calling about:  2016 Filing Status with Parent Dependent.

Remember to keep a copy of your amended returns in your tax files.

Filing an amended return is free.  In addition, as a part of our Accurate Calculation Guarantee, TurboTax will reimburse you for any penalties or interest you are assessed as a result of this error.  You can find additional information about our Accurate Calculation Guarantee by clicking on this link: TurboTax Accurate Calculation Guarantee   If for any reason you are not satisfied with TurboTax as a result of this issue, we will refund your purchase price.

We apologize if this situation applies to you.  If you have additional questions, please contact us at 1-877-216-2138.