2016 Federal Form 8839 Special Needs Adoption Amend Instructions
Certain taxpayers who filed federal Form 8839 for a special needs adoption may need to amend their federal and state tax returns. Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure your return is complete and accurate.
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your tax return prior to March 1, 2017 AND
- You adopted an eligible US child with special needs AND
- Your adoption became final in 2016 AND
- Your employer did NOT have a written qualified adoption assistance program
What you need to do:
- You can amend your return yourself:
- After the changes are made to your return, you will need to mail the amended return.
- We're here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at 1-877-216-2138 to reach an agent who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Tell the agent you're calling about: 2016 Form 8839 Special Needs Adoption.