2016 Alabama Educator Expenses Amend Instructions
Certain taxpayers who filed Alabama Schedule A may need to amend their state tax return. Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure your return is complete and accurate.
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Alabama state tax return prior to July 27, 2017 AND
- You had educator expenses on the federal return AND
- You itemized deductions on your Alabama return AND
- Your miscellaneous deductions exceeded 2% of Alabama Adjusted Gross Income
What you need to do:
- You can amend your return yourself:
- After the changes are made to your return, you will need to mail the amended return.
- We're here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at 1-877-216-2138 to reach an agent who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Tell the agent you're calling about: 2016 Alabama Educator Expenses.
Remember to keep a copy of your amended return in your tax files.
Filing an amended return is free. If for any reason you are not satisfied with TurboTax as a result of this issue, we will refund your purchase price.