TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

2016 Federal Dependent Health Insurance Penalty Adjustment Amend Instructions

Certain taxpayers who filed using the status Married Filing Separately and were claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return may need to amend their federal tax return. Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure your return is complete and accurate. 

You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:

  • You filed your federal tax return prior to March 28, 2017 AND
  • You filed as Married Filing Separately AND
  • You could be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s tax return AND
  • You have an amount for an individual responsibility payment on Form 1040, Line 61
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your federal tax. You may need to amend your federal tax return. 

What you need to do:

Filing an amended return is free.  If for any reason you are not satisfied with TurboTax as a result of this issue, we will refund your purchase price. 
We apologize if this situation applies to you.  If you have additional questions, please contact us at 1-877-216-2138.