2016 Federal Dependent Health Insurance Penalty Adjustment Amend Instructions
Certain taxpayers who filed using the status Married Filing Separately and were claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return may need to amend their federal tax return. Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure your return is complete and accurate.
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your federal tax return prior to March 28, 2017 AND
- You filed as Married Filing Separately AND
- You could be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s tax return AND
- You have an amount for an individual responsibility payment on Form 1040, Line 61
What you need to do:
- You can amend your return yourself:
- After the changes are made to your return, you will need to mail the amended return. We're here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at 1-877-216-2138 to reach an agent who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Tell the agent you're calling about: 2016 Federal: Dependent Health Insurance Penalty.
- Remember to keep a copy of your amended return in your tax files.