I had a lot of medical expenses this year, does it make sense for my spouse and I to file separately in order to claim more?

we spend $20,000 on medical expenses and make a total of $180,000 together (10% is $18,000) so we we can only deduct $2000 of this if we combine our incomes, but if I file separately can I claim anything above the 10% of the $80,000 I make? (ie: $12,000 deduction off my income)  We would split all other deductions equally, such as our home & charitable deductions (we have no children).  

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community