2016 Form 8801 Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax Amend Instructions
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your federal tax return prior to May 11, 2017 AND
- You filed Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax, with your 2015 tax return AND
- You were required to file Form 8801, Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax, with your 2016 tax return.
If you are affected, you may have overpaid or your minimum tax credit carryforward to 2017 maybe incorrect on your federal tax return. You may need to amend your federal tax return.
What you need to do:
- You can amend your return yourself:
- After the changes are made to your return, you will need to mail the amended return.
- We're here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at 1-877-216-2138 to reach an agent who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Tell the agent you're calling about: 2016 Federal: Form 8801 Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax.
Remember to keep a copy of your amended state return in your tax files.