TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

2016 Form 8801 Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax Amend Instructions

Certain taxpayers who were required to file Form 8801, Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax, may need to amend their federal tax return. Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure your return is complete and accurate.

You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:

  • You filed your federal tax return prior to May 11, 2017 AND
  • You filed Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax, with your 2015 tax return AND
  • You were required to file Form 8801, Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax, with your 2016 tax return.

If you are affected, you may have overpaid or your minimum tax credit carryforward to 2017 maybe incorrect on your federal tax return. You may need to amend your federal tax return.


What you need to do:

Remember to keep a copy of your amended state return in your tax files.

Filing an amended return is free.  In addition, as a part of our Accuracy Guarantee, TurboTax will reimburse you for any penalties or interest you are assessed as result of this error.  You can find additional information about our Accuracy Guarantee by clicking on this link TurboTax Accuracy Guarantee If for any reason you are not satisfied with TurboTax as a result of this issue, we will refund your purchase price. 
We apologize if this situation applies to you.  If you have additional questions, please contact us at 1-877-216-2138.