TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1 person found this useful

Can I file a 1040EZ?

You can use Form 1040EZ to file your 2016 return if all of the following are true:

  1. Your filing status is "Single" or "Married Filing Jointly" and you're not claiming any dependents.
  2. You (and your spouse, if filing jointly) were born after January 1, 1952.
  3. You (and your spouse, if filing jointly) weren't blind as of December 31, 2016.
  4. Your taxable income is under $100,000 and only comes from wages, salaries, unemployment, tips reported in W-2 boxes 5 and 7, scholarships or fellowship grants, Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, and interest not exceeding $1,500 (taxable income of $100,000 or more requires the 1040 long form).
  5. You're not taking any deductions other than the standard deduction (itemizing requires the 1040 long form).
  6. You're not claiming any credits other than the Earned Income Credit.
  7. You don't owe household employment taxes on wages paid to a household employee (this requires the 1040 long form).
  8. You're not a debtor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed after October 16, 2005.
  9. Advance payments of the premium tax credit weren't made for you, your spouse, or any individual you enrolled in coverage for whom no one else is claiming the personal exemption.

TurboTax chooses the simplest 1040 form that applies to your tax situation. Taxpayers qualifying for the 1040EZ may file a 1040 or 1040A per IRS rules, but TurboTax will always select the 1040EZ.

All personal versions of TurboTax support Form 1040EZ, provided your tax situation fits the criteria above. But purchasing TurboTax Self-Employed or Home & Business for a 1040EZ is overkill.

For this reason, we recommend Free Edition (if using online or the mobile app) or Basic (if using the CD or downloadable software) if you only need a 1040EZ.