TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

How do I enter a 1099-K?

You’ll enter the income reported on your Form 1099-K as ‘Additional income’ along with any cash or checks you received as self-employment income.

Here's how to enter your 1099-K:

1. Open your return.
    (To do this, open the mobile app and tap the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Tap the menu icon in the upper left. 
  3. Select Federal Taxes, and then Wages & Income.
    • If you have a Business tab instead of a Federal Taxes tab, skip to the Business tab instructions below.
  4. Select the Self-Employment section, and tap Income and Expenses.
  5. If this is your first time entering information in this section, you’ll be asked to answer some questions about your self-employment work. 
  6. When you reach the screen asking what type of income you want to enter, select: Additional income - Includes 1099-K, check/cash payments. 
  7. Now enter the information from your 1099-K.  

Note: You’ll need to be using TurboTax Deluxe or a higher version of TurboTax to enter a 1099-K. You’ll be given the option to upgrade if this applies to you.

If you have a ‘Business’ tab – Follow these Instructions Instead

1. Open your return.
    (To do this, open the mobile app and tap the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Tap the menu icon in the upper left.
  3. Select Business, and then Business Income and Expenses.
  4. In the Business Income and Expenses section, select Profit or Loss from Business.
  5. If this is your first time entering information about your business, you’ll be asked some questions about your business.
  6. If you’re asked how you want to enter your business income, select I’ll choose what I work on.
  7. On the Your (type of work) Business screen, in the Business Income section, select Business Income.
  8. On the next screen, select: General Income - Business income, including income reported on Form(s) 1099-K.
  9. Now enter the information from your 1099-K.

Form 1099-K gives a Gross Amount - What does this mean? 
If you're entering income from a 1099-K, remember that this form reports the gross amount of the transactions. It doesn't include any adjustments for credits, refunds, discounts, fees, etc. You’ll have a chance to enter any business expenses like fees and all other expenses in another part of your return.

GEN88864