How do I get PLUS in the mobile app if I haven't started a 2016 return yet?
First, we need to make sure you’re in the same account (same User ID) that you used when you filed your prior-year return. TurboTax stores all of your prior tax returns in one place, but only if you use the same account to file each year.
Here’s what to do:
- Go back into the TurboTax mobile app.
- In the prior year you have open in your tax timeline (i.e., 2015), make sure it says Filed next to the return (”Filed federal tax return”) It will also show any state return/s you have.) If it says ‘Filed,’ great! Your prior year returns are here and you’re in the right account.
Now to access these return/s (download/save them) and all your other prior year returns, as well as get the other benefits of PLUS, you’ll need to first add PLUS and pay.
- See below for payment instructions.
This means you didn’t file a return for that year in this account.
Let’s get you into the right account, so you can access all of your prior year returns.
After you locate your account, go ahead and return here and then follow the Payment Instructions below.
- Scroll up and tap Start with Federal Free.
- Continue past the import screen and keep going until you see Keep your 50% Head Start. On this screen, tap Keep PLUS.
- Keep going, and after the blue Simple and accurate screen finishes loading, tap the red TurboTax checkmark (iPhone) or menu icon (three lines; Android) on the upper left side of the screen, then tap File in the side menu. (You might be asked to provide a little more info before you can proceed to the File section. Once you've provided that info, go back to File.)
- Tap Review your order.
- Tap View payment options. Select payment type and follow on screen instructions (Be sure to select the credit/debit card option, Apple Pay, or Google PLAY, and not Pay with federal refund.)
- After submitting payment, tap the red TurboTax checkmark or menu icon (3 lines) in the upper left hand side of the screen and tap My TurboTax.
- Tap Load My Tax Timeline next to Looking for prior year returns?
- Tap View return (PDF) for the tax year you want.