IND-025-02: If PINTypeCd in the Return Header has the value Self-Select On-Line and PrimaryBirthDt has a value then PrimaryPriorYearAGIAmt, PrimaryPriorYearPIN, IdentityProtectionPIN must have a value
This rejection occurs when the 2015 AGI for the first person on the return is missing.
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
- You'll be prompted to confirm the status of your return(s). Click Continue.
- Click File in the upper-right area (don't click any "Fix" buttons you may come across).
- Select the e-file option, and keep going until you reach To continue, select from the options below. Here you can enter your 2015 AGI (option 1) or file a paper return (option 2). Some AGI tips:
- Use the AGI from your originally-filed 2015 return (or enter 0 if you didn't file last year),
- If you don't have a copy of last year's return, get your AGI from a free IRS transcript. On the transcript, look for the line ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME.
- Don't pull your AGI from your W-2. Find out why. The same goes for 1099 forms.
- Don't use the AGI from your amended 2015 return. Always get it from the first return you filed, even if that AGI was technically incorrect (for example, if you forgot a W-2).
- See Special AGI Situations below for additional help.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to finish and refile your return. If your state got rejected along with your federal, we'll help you refile that too.
Special AGI Situations
Don't overthink it. Your 2015 AGI is exactly what is says – the AGI amount from your 2015 tax return.
- If you filed a 2015 return but somebody claimed you as a dependent, enter the AGI from your 2015 return – not theirs.
- If you filed jointly last year but separately this year, enter the full AGI from your joint 2015 return. More info
- Same goes for recently-widowed or divorced taxpayers who filed jointly last year.
- If you're filing jointly this year but used Married Filing Separately last year, enter each spouse's AGI from their respective 2015 returns. More info
- Same goes for newlywed couples.
- If you didn't file last year, enter 0.