How to upgrade your TurboTax Federal Free Edition to access your prior year returns
Here's how to upgrade Federal Free Edition so you can access all of your prior year returns:
First, be sure you have selected Federal Free Edition
(If you have already done this, skip to the second set of instructions below.)
- After verifying that you are in the correct account and can see your prior year returns, scroll up and then click or tap Start for Free on the Federal Free Edition of TurboTax.
- We’ll ask a few questions, and then you’ll go past the blue Simple and accurate screen.
Now to upgrade:
- Click Upgrade near the top.
- Select PLUS More Help & Tools, then click Upgrade Now.
- After confirming the upgrade, click File in the upper-right corner. (You might be asked to provide a little more info before you can proceed to the File section. Once you've provided that info, go back to File.)
- Click Start next to Review your order and follow the directions to submit payment. (Be sure to select the credit/debit card option, as opposed to deducting the fee from your refund.)
- After submitting payment, click Tax Timeline near the top of your screen.
- Click Download/print return (PDF) for the tax year you want.