TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
3 people found this useful

E-file rejection IND-508: Primary SSN in the Return must not be equal to the Spouse SSN on another tax return for which filing status is Married Filing Jointly or filing status is Head of Household...

This rejection means that the first person on the return (the primary taxpayer) was listed as the spouse (or was used to claim the spouse exemption) on another tax return that has already been filed.

It can occur if your spouse has already filed your joint return, or if s/he filed their own return as Head of Household and put you down as their spouse.

Less commonly, this error can be triggered by an incorrect Social Security number or a fraudulently-filed return that used your SSN as their "spouse."


If your spouse already filed a return but you still wish to file your own return, go ahead and paper-file it (you won't be able to e-file it because the server will continue to reject it). The IRS will eventually contact both you and your spouse to straighten out your conflicting filing statuses.

On the other hand, if your spouse didn't file your return – or you don't have a spouse – do this instead:

  1. Sign in to TurboTax if you haven't already signed in.
    • Click or tap any orange "Fix" buttons you see before proceeding to Step 2.
  2. At the Welcome back to TurboTax message, click or tap Personal Info near the top (not the gray "Fix It Now" button).
    • Mobile devices: Tap the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap Personal Info.
  3. On the Personal info summary screen, compare the SSN for the first taxpayer listed with their Social Security card.
    • If it's wrong, click or tap Edit to fix, then Continue.
    • If the SSN is correct, STOP. Proceed to the "What if my info is correct?" section, below.
  4. Now click File in the upper-right area (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap File).
  5. At the Welcome back screen, click or tap Continue. Do not select "Fix my return" (you've already done that).
  6. Follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the filing process.

What if my info is correct?

It's likely that somebody filed a fraudulent return using your information. Please contact us right away for further assistance.

In the meantime, you won't be able to e-file because your SSN has already been accepted. Instead, you'll need to paper-file your return.

Helpful resources