TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

E-file rejection IND-508: Primary SSN in the Return must not be equal to the Spouse SSN on another tax return for which filing status is Married Filing Jointly or filing status is Head of Household...

This rejection means that the first person on the return (the primary taxpayer) was listed as the spouse (or was used to claim the spouse exemption) on another tax return that has already been filed.

It can occur if your spouse has already filed your joint return, or if s/he filed their own return as Head of Household and put you down as their spouse.

Less commonly, this error can be triggered by an incorrect Social Security number or a fraudulently-filed return that used your SSN as their "spouse."


If your spouse already filed a return but you still wish to file your own return, go ahead and paper-file it (you won't be able to e-file it because the server will continue to reject it). The IRS will eventually contact both you and your spouse to straighten out your conflicting filing statuses

On the other hand, if your spouse didn't file your return – or you don't have a spouse – do this instead:

  1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. You'll be prompted to confirm the status of your return(s). Click Continue.
  3. At the Rejected message, click Personal Info near the top (not the "Help Me Fix It" button).
  4. Proceed to the Your Personal Info Summary screen and compare the SSN for the first taxpayer listed with their Social Security card.
    • If it's wrong, click Edit to fix, then continue until you're back at the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
    • If the SSN is correct, STOP. Proceed to the "What if my info is correct?" section, below.
  5. Now click File near the top and follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the filing process.

What if my info is correct?

It's likely that somebody filed a fraudulent return using your information. Please contact us right away for further assistance.

In the meantime, you won't be able to e-file because your SSN has already been accepted. Instead, you'll need to paper-file your return.

Helpful resources