E-file reject F2441-524: The last name and Social Security number of your qualifying person(s) for your dependent care expenses don’t match IRS records
This rejection can occur when the name or Social Security number of the qualifying person for the Child and Dependent Care Credit has been entered incorrectly.
Less commonly, this rejection can be caused by a mismatch with the IRS database, or if the qualifying person's Social Security number was issued late last year.
Get the Social Security card for the qualifying person and then follow the solution steps below.
Follow these steps to make sure the info for your qualifying person has been entered correctly:
- Sign in to TurboTax if you haven't already signed in.
- Click or tap any orange "Fix" buttons you see before proceeding to the next step.
- Above the Welcome back to TurboTax message, click Personal Info (on mobile devices, tap the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap Personal Info).
- On the Personal info summary screen, verify that the name and SSN of the qualifying person matches their Social Security card.
- If the name has recently changed, and the new name won't go through, try their former name (or vice-versa).
- For multiple middle names, use the initial for the first middle name only (for example, John E. W. Doe should be entered as John E Doe in TurboTax).
- Hyphenated last names go into the Last name field in their entirety.
- Generally, with nonhyphenated multiple last names, the very last name goes into the Last name field, for example:
- Richard L. Brown Roe should be entered as Richard L. Roe
- Richard (no middle initial) Brown Roe should be entered as Richard (no middle initial) Roe
If the name or SSN needs correcting:
- Click or tap Edit to the right of the qualifying person.
- Make any corrections, then click or tap Continue.
- Note: To correct your dependent's SSN, keep going through the interview (it's about 7 or 8 screens in).
- Click File in the upper-right area (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap File).
- At the Welcome back screen, click or tap Continue. Do not select "Fix my return" (you've already done that).
- Follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the filing process.
If the name and SSN are correct:
It could be that the info in the IRS database is incorrect or the qualifying person isn't in their database yet. You won't be able to e-file even though your information was entered correctly.
Click File in the upper-right area (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap File) and follow the onscreen instructions to file by mail.
Tip: To prevent this rejection next year, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify their records (this is where the IRS database pulls from). If the info is wrong, please allow 4–6 weeks for correction.