E-file reject SEIC-F1040-535-02: For each child on Schedule EIC (Form 1040A or Form 1040), Line 2 'QualifyingChildSSN' and Line 3 'ChildYearOfBirth' must match that in the e-File database
This rejection can occur when a dependent's date of birth or Social Security number has been entered incorrectly.
Less commonly, this rejection can be caused by a mismatch with the IRS database, or if the dependent's Social Security number was issued late last year.
Follow these steps to make sure your dependent's info has been entered correctly:
- Sign in to TurboTax if you haven't already signed in.
- Click or tap any orange "Fix" buttons you see before proceeding to the next step.
- Above the Welcome back to TurboTax message, click Personal Info (on mobile devices, tap the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap Personal Info).
- On the Personal info summary screen, verify the SSN and birthdate for the dependent.
- The birthdate should be in the United States month/day/year format (MM/DD/YYYY). For example, June 11, 2013 should be entered as 06/11/2013, not 11/06/2013.
If the birthdate or SSN needs correcting:
- Click or tap Edit next to the dependent.
- Proceed to the Tell us about [dependent] screen to fix the birthdate, then click or tap Continue.
- To correct the Social Security number, keep going until you reach Now let's gather the Social Security number screen (it's about 7 or 8 screens in). After fixing, click or tap Continue.
- Click File in the upper-right area (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap File).
- At the Welcome back screen, click or tap Continue. Do not select "Fix my return" (you've already done that).
- Follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the filing process.
If the birthdate and SSN are correct:
It could be that the info in the IRS database is incorrect or your dependent isn't in their database yet. You won't be able to e-file even though your information was entered correctly.
To paper-file your return, click File in the upper-right area (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap File). Then follow the onscreen instructions to file by mail.
Tip: To prevent this rejection next year, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify their records (this is where the IRS database pulls from). If the info is wrong, please allow 4–6 weeks for correction.