E-file reject SEIC-F1040-535-02: For each child on Schedule EIC (Form 1040A or Form 1040), Line 2 'QualifyingChildSSN' and Line 3 'ChildYearOfBirth' must match that in the e-File database
This rejection can occur when a dependent's date of birth or Social Security number has been entered incorrectly.
Less commonly, this rejection can be caused by a mismatch with the IRS database, or if the dependent's Social Security number was issued late last year.
Follow these steps to make sure your dependent's info has been entered correctly:
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
- You'll be prompted to confirm the status of your return(s). Click Continue.
- Proceed to the Your Personal Info Summary screen by clicking Continue. On that screen, verify the SSN and birthdate for the dependent.
- The birthdate should be in the United States month/day/year format (MM/DD/YYYY). For example, June 11, 2013 should be entered as 06/11/2013, not 11/06/2013.
If the birthdate or SSN needs correcting:
- Click Edit next to the dependent, then Edit again on the next screen.
- Proceed to the Tell Us About Your Child screen to fix the birthdate, then click Continue.
- To correct the Social Security number, keep going until you reach the Now Let'sTie Up One More Thing screen (it's about 5 or 6 screens in). After fixing, click Continue, then Done.
- Click File in the upper-right area, then follow the instructions to proceed with the filing process.
If the birthdate and SSN are correct:
It could be that the info in the IRS database is incorrect or your dependent isn't in their database yet. You won't be able to e-file even though your information was entered correctly.
To paper-file your return, click File in the upper-right area and follow the onscreen instructions to file by mail.
Tip: To prevent this rejection next year, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify their records (this is where the IRS database pulls from). If the info is wrong, please allow 4–6 weeks for correction.