E-file reject IND-046-01: Form 8862 is missing from the tax return and it is required to be able to claim the earned income credit (EIC)
To resolve this rejection, you'll need to add Form 8862: Information To Claim Earned Income Credit After Disallowance to your return. Follow the instructions in the next section.
Tip: In step 5, you will fill out an onscreen version of Form 8862. To eliminate side-to-side scrolling, maximize your browser window. If you're using a mobile device, you can also sign in on a desktop or laptop computer.
- Sign in to TurboTax if you haven't already and select the Fix my return button.
- After the screen finishes loading, search for eic in the upper-right corner, then select "Jump to eic" in the search results.
- On mobile devices, select the question mark to open search.
- Continue through the Earned Income Credit section until you reach Do any of these uncommon situations apply?
- On this screen, check the 4th box, I got a letter/notice from the IRS telling me to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit. Select Continue.
- Keep going, and soon you should see the screen Since you got an IRS notice, we need to check if any of these apply to your situation.
- Make sure No is selected, then continue.
- The next screen will display Form 8862, which you'll need to complete (the program will double-check your entries in the next step). When finished, select Continue.
- Now choose Review.
- Mobile devices: Select the menu icon in the upper left corner, then select Review.
- Go through the Review section to find and correct any blank entries on the 8862. If you had to fix anything, run through the review again until there are no more errors.
Once Review is complete without errors, you're ready to re-file:
- Select File in the left-hand menu.
- Mobile devices: Select the menu icon in the upper left corner, then select File.
- On the Welcome back screen, select Continue (not Fix my return – you've already done that).
- Follow the onscreen instructions to save and re-file your return.