E-file reject IND-046-01: Form 8862 is missing from the tax return and it is required to be able to claim the earned income credit (EIC)
To resolve this rejection, you'll need to add Form 8862: Information To Claim Earned Income Credit After Disallowance to your return.
Here's how to add Form 8862 to your return:
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
- You'll be prompted to confirm the status of your return(s). Select Continue.
- After your return opens, search for eic in the Search box then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- Continue through the Earned Income Credit section until you reach Do any of these uncommon situations apply?
- On this screen, check the 5th box, I got a letter/notice from the IRS telling me to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit.
- Select Continue.
- Keep going, and soon you should see the screen Since you got an IRS notice, we need to check if any of these apply to your situation.
- Make sure No is selected, then continue.
- The next screen will display Form 8862, which you'll need to complete (the program will double-check your entries in the next step). When finished, select Continue.
- Now select Smart Check near the top of your screen.
- Go through Smart Check to find and correct any blank entries on the 8862. If you had to fix anything, run through Smart Check again until there are no more errors.
Once Smart Check completes with no errors, select File near the top of your screen and follow the onscreen instructions to refile your return.