TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

Which TurboTax do I need to file a return for a trust?

If it's a living trust, you can use whichever TurboTax personal program suits your tax situation. There is no special tax form for living trusts; the trust's income and deductions are reported on your personal tax return.

All other trusts need to file Form 1041 (U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts), which is supported in TurboTax Business.

TurboTax Business also generates the trust beneficiaries' Schedule K-1 forms, which the beneficiaries then report on their personal tax returns. (Think of a Schedule K-1 as the trust equivalent of a W-2.)

TurboTax Business is a Windows-only software program available as a CD or download.