TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
26 people found this useful

Where do I enter the Personal Property Tax I paid?

After we cover car registration fees, we’ll ask you about other personal property taxes you may have paid for a mobile home, RV, boat, or plane.

You’ll find this deduction listed under Cars and Other Things You Own in the Deductions & Credits section of your federal tax return. To skip the car registration fees section and go directly to other personal property taxes you paid, type “personal property tax” in the Search box and select the “Jump to” link.

To qualify for this deduction, the personal property tax you paid must have been:

  • Charged on personal property you own
  • Based only on the value of the personal property
  • Charged on an annual basis (regardless of how often it’s collected)

If you paid a tax on your car in one of the few states where car registration fees aren't deductible, you can claim it as personal property tax, if it meets the above qualifications.