2016 North Carolina: Tuition Deduction Add-back for Spouse Amend Instructions
Certain taxpayers who received a federal tuition and fees deduction for their spouse may need to amend their North Carolina tax return. Although we fixed the issue in TurboTax, we want to make sure your return is complete and accurate.
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your state return prior to March 31, 2017 AND
- You received a tuition and fees deduction on your federal tax return AND
- Your spouse paid tuition and fees.
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your state tax return.
What you need to do:
- You can amend your return yourself:
- After the changes are made to your return, you will need to mail the amended return.
- We're here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at 1-877-216-2138 to reach an agent who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Tell the agent you're calling about: 2016 North Carolina: Tuition and Fee Deduction Add-back for Spouse.
Remember to keep a copy of your amended state return in your tax files.
Filing an amended return is free. In addition, as a part of our Accuracy Guarantee, TurboTax will reimburse you for any penalties or interest you are assessed as result of this error. You can find additional information about our Accuracy Guarantee by clicking on this link TurboTax Accuracy Guarantee. If for any reason you are not satisfied with TurboTax as a result of this issue, we will refund your purchase price.
We apologize if this situation applies to you. If you have additional questions, please contact us at 1-877-216-2138.