E-file rejection codes F1040-525-02 or F1040A-525-02: Date of birth mismatch
This rejection occurs when the date of birth for the first person listed on the return is either incorrect or doesn't match IRS records.
The code and message associated with this rejection varies with the tax form:
- F1040-525-02: The date of birth you entered on your tax return does not match what the IRS has in its files for you.
- F1040A-525-02: If 'PINTypeCd' in the Return Header has the value "Self-Select On-Line" and Form 1040A, Line 2 checkbox "Married filing jointly" is checked, and 'SpecialProcessingLiteralCd' does not have a value and 'CombatZoneCd' does not have a value and 'SpecialProcessingCodeTxt' does not have a value and 'PrimaryDeathDt' does not have a value, then 'PrimaryBirthDt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.
- Sign in to TurboTax if you haven't already signed in.
- Click or tap any orange "Fix" buttons you see before proceeding to the next step.
- At the Welcome back to TurboTax message, click or tap Fix It Now.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to verify the date of birth and re-file your return.
- Refer to an official document such as driver's license, government ID card, passport, or birth certificate.
- The date should be in the United States month/day/year format (MM/DD/YYYY). For example, March 12, 1981 should be entered as 03/12/1981, not 12/03/1981.
What if the date of birth is correct?
Most likely, the IRS has the wrong date of birth on file. In this scenario, you won't be able to e-file because the date you're entering doesn't match their records.
Keep following the onscreen instructions and we'll help you file your return by mail.
Tip: To prevent this rejection next year, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify their records (this is where the IRS database pulls from). If the info is wrong, please allow 4–6 weeks for correction.