TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
98 people found this useful

E-file reject IND-031-03 or IND-032-03: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records

If the 2015 adjusted gross income (AGI) you entered to verify your identity (and/or your spouse's identity on a joint return) doesn't match the IRS database, you'll get one or both of these rejections:

  • IND-031-03: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year for the first taxpayer doesn't match IRS records
  • IND-032-03: The spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records

Even if you believe you entered the correct AGI, go through the solution below to make sure you didn't overlook anything. We want to help you successfully e-file your return.

Here's what to do
If you got an e-file reject on or after the April 18, 2017 deadline, and you owe taxes, see these instructions instead.

If your return was rejected earlier, or you're getting a refund, here's what to do:

  1. Sign in to TurboTax if you haven't already signed in.
    • Click or tap any orange "Fix" or "Take me to my return" buttons you see and make sure you've gone past the blue Simple and accurate screen.
  2. At the Hi, welcome back to TurboTax message, click or tap the first Fix It Now button (under FEDERAL Return Rejected).
  3. On the following screen, you'll see The IRS already rejected this number: [followed by a dollar amount].
  4. Change that dollar amount to the AGI from your originally-filed 2015 return (or enter 0 if you didn't file last year), then click or tap Continue e-filing.
    • If you don't have a copy of last year's return, get your AGI from a free IRS transcript. On the transcript, look for the line ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME.
    • Don't pull your AGI from your W-2. Find out why. The same goes for 1099 forms.
    • Don't use the AGI from your amended 2015 return. Always get it from the first return you filed, even if that AGI was technically incorrect (for example, if you forgot a W-2).
    • See Special AGI Situations below for additional help.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to finish and refile your return. If your state got rejected along with your federal, we'll help you refile that too.

Special AGI Situations

Don't overthink it. Your 2015 AGI is exactly what is says – the AGI amount from your 2015 tax return.

  • If you filed a 2015 return but somebody claimed you as a dependent, enter the AGI from your 2015 return – not theirs.
  • If you filed jointly last year but separately this year, enter the full AGI from your joint 2015 return. More info
  • If you're filing jointly this year but used Married Filing Separately last year, enter each spouse's AGI from their respective 2015 returns. More info
  • If you didn't file last year, enter 0.

My AGI is correct, but I still get rejected with IND-031 or -032

This is frustrating – you keep getting rejected for the wrong AGI even though you've copied it from the 2015 return sitting right in front of you.

For some reason, the IRS has a different AGI in their database. Your job is to find out what that number is so you can e-file.

Start by getting a free IRS transcript for your 2015 return. (Also get a transcript for your spouse, if you're filing jointly in 2016 and your spouse filed a separate 2015 return).

On your transcript, look for ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME (you may need to look on page 2). This is the number in the IRS database; make sure the AGI you enter matches this number exactly.

If you're unable to order an IRS transcript, try entering 0 as your AGI, assuming you haven't already gone that route. You can also try entering last year's signature ID (instructions below).

Failing that, you can opt to file a paper return; follow the solution steps above, except select File by mail when it appears.

  • If you previously chose to pay your TurboTax fees (if any) with your federal refund, then before changing to File by mail, you’ll need to change your method of payment to credit or debit card. Here's how.

What if I want to use my signature ID (self-select PIN) instead of my AGI?

If you know the 5-digit signature ID (aka self-select PIN) you used to sign last year's return, you can use that in lieu of your AGI. (Don't enter it as your AGI; follow the steps below.)

Your signature ID is a random 5-digit number you entered last year, right before you transmitted your return. It's not the 5-digit PIN you got from the IRS, unless you chose to reuse the same number (which is perfectly fine). We don't store your signature ID in your account, and you won't find it on your printouts. You would've had to memorize it, write it down, or take a screenshot.

Anyhow, here's where to enter last year's signature ID as your self-select PIN:

  1. Sign in to TurboTax if you haven't already signed in.
    • Click or tap any orange "Fix" or "Take me to my return" buttons you see and make sure you've gone past the blue Simple and accurate screen.
  2. At the Hi, welcome back to TurboTax message, click or tap File near the right side of your screen (on mobile devices, tap the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap File).
    • Do not click any "Fix" buttons after the blue Simple and accurate screen or the remaining instructions won't work.
  3. Click or tap Continue on the Welcome back, [your name]! screen.
  4. Now click or tap Start next to Step 3: Get ready to save and file your returns.
  5. Click or tap I want to e-file and on the next screen (Last year's tax info) click or tap Edit.
  6. Keep going until you reach the screen To e-file successfully, the IRS needs...
  7. On that screen, select the second option, I can't get the 2015 tax return, and follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PIN and re-file your return.