How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in the mobile app?
An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes, which are due April 18 (June 15 if you were out of the country on the deadline).
But even if you can't pay your taxes by the deadline, file an extension to avoid the late-filing penalty.
To file your extension, you'll need to leave the TurboTax app and sign in to a browser:
- Sign out of the app by tapping the TurboTax icon in the upper-left corner > App Settings > Sign Out.
- Open your browser (either on your device or a computer) and sign in at the Easy Extension website (use your app login).
- Follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your extension.
Note: If you're paying additional taxes owed with direct debit, you'll need to provide your 2015 AGI for verification purposes (if you didn't file a 2015 return, enter 0 as your AGI).
If you don't have your AGI, or your extension gets rejected for the wrong AGI, here are 2 options:
- Recommended: Pay your taxes at IRS Direct Pay (this also automatically gives you an extension). Instructions
- Download and print Form 4868, fill it out, and get it postmarked before midnight April 18. Payment and mailing instructions are on pages 3 and 4 of your printout.
It is no longer possible to file an extension for 2016. The deadline was April 18 for domestic taxpayers and June 18 for taxpayers outside the country.