TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1 person found this useful

I got a CP12 notice from the IRS

If you got a notice from the IRS, don’t worry. We’ll do our best to help you figure out what to do next.

The CP12 notice means that the IRS made changes to correct a miscalculation on your return.

If you agree with the changes the IRS made—no response is required:

  • You should get a refund check in 4-6 weeks, as long as you don't owe other tax or debts.
  • Correct the copy of your tax return that you keep for your own records.

If you don't agree with the changes, contact the IRS within 60 days from the date of your notice. You can do this:

  • By telephone—the number is on your notice and calling is the fastest way to resolve many errors.
  • By mail—include a copy of the notice and allow 30-60 or more days for a resolution.