Find your tax data file on your computer (in Windows)
This article explains how to find a tax data file (.tax file) you created using the TurboTax CD/Download software for Windows, or a file you downloaded and saved to your computer from your TurboTax Online account.
E-filing does not keep copies of your return on our servers. We're unable to retrieve tax files prepared in the TurboTax CD/download software because your data is stored locally on your computer.
If you still can't find your data file and you need a copy of your filed return, you can order a copy from the IRS.
To locate your tax file, you'll also need to be logged into the same Windows user account you used when you created or saved the file. If you're unsure which account you used when you created or saved your tax file, login as an administrator.
- Simultaneously press the Windows+F keys (or go to your Desktop and press F3).
- Type *.tax2015 (replace 2015 with the appropriate tax-year return you're looking for).
- In the search results, copy the tax file's location or path. By default, TurboTax saves tax files in the My Documents > TurboTax folder.
- Tip: Don't double-click the tax file in the search results to open it, as this may cause errors.
- After locating the path to the tax file on your computer, you'll know where you saved it so you can access it.