TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
15 people found this useful

Reject R0000-902-01: Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return

R0000-902-01 means that a return using the taxpayer's or spouse's Social Security or Taxpayer Identification number has already been filed.

This can happen if your spouse or another family member has already filed your return for you. Other reasons for this rejection include:

  • Your (or your spouse's) SSN or ITIN was entered incorrectly;
  • The same SSN or ITIN was used for both filers on a joint return; or
  • Somebody filed a fraudulent return using your (or your spouse's) SSN or ITIN.

Grab your Social Security card(s) and then proceed to the solution below.


If you are sure nobody you know already filed your return for you, the next step is to review your entries in TurboTax to make sure there are no transposed or incorrect numbers:
  1.  Sign in to TurboTax if you haven't already signed in.
    • Click or tap any orange "Fix" buttons you see before proceeding to Step 2.
  2. At the Welcome back to TurboTax message, click or tap Personal Info near the top (not the gray "Fix It Now" button).
    • Mobile devices: Tap the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap Personal Info.
  3. On the Personal info summary screen, compare the SSN for the first taxpayer listed with their Social Security card.
    • If it's wrong, click or tap Edit to fix, then Continue.
    • Repeat this step for the spouse, if any.
    • If all SSNs/ITINs were originally entered correctly, STOP. Proceed to the "What if my info is correct?" section, below.
  4. Now click File in the upper-right area (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap File).
  5. At the Welcome back screen, click or tap Continue. Do not select "Fix my return" (you've already done that).
  6. Follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the filing process.

What if my info is correct?

It's likely that somebody filed a fraudulent return using your information. Please contact us right away for further assistance.

In the meantime, you won't be able to e-file because your or your spouse's SSN or ITIN has already been accepted. Instead, you'll need to paper-file your return.

Helpful resources