TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
52 people found this useful

What is TurboTax Online Tax Return App?

TurboTax Online Tax Return App is a Windows 10 application available from the Microsoft Windows Apps Store. It's the same best-selling tax preparation product as TurboTax Online.

TurboTax Online Tax Return App works with any Windows 10 PC, laptop, or tablet (mobile devices not supported). We store your info on our secure servers, which means you can access your return from any web browser, either through the app or through TurboTax Online.

If you already have a TurboTax account, your login will also work with the app.

What's the main difference between the app and the CD/Download software for Windows?

The app offers the convenience of preparing and e-filing your tax return from any Windows 10 PC, laptop, or tablet with internet access. Your info is stored on our secure servers, rather than on your computer or device.

Anyone can start their taxes for free in TurboTax Online Tax Return App. Payment (if any) is collected right before you print or e-file the return.

In contrast, the TurboTax CD/Download software is first purchased and then installed on your computer. Your tax info is stored locally, on your hard drive. This lets you work on your taxes even if you're not online.

If you plan to prepare multiple returns for family and friends, the CD/Download software is a better value because you can prepare and print an unlimited number of federal returns without paying extra (up to 5 can be e-filed).

But no matter which TurboTax version you choose, rest assured—you'll get easy answers and help finding every tax deduction and credit you deserve, and your maximum refund, guaranteed.

If I used the CD/Download software last year, can I use the app this year?

Absolutely. You can even transfer last year's tax file over to get a head start on your 2016 taxes.

What if I already started a return in the CD/Download software?

Because you've already purchased the CD/Download software for this year, it's best to continue in that product.

Although you can transfer your 2016 tax file to the app, you'd have to pay again to print or file your return.

What if I already started in TurboTax Online?

No problem! Just sign in to TurboTax Online Tax Return App with the same login and pick up where you left off.

You can easily switch back and forth between the two, as long as you sign in with the same User ID/password combination.

I've never used TurboTax before. How do I start with TurboTax Online Tax Return App?

All you need is a valid email address. Then, just answer a few simple questions and you're on your way.

In many cases, you don't even need your W2 or 1099.  You can import those directly into the app from more than a million participating employers and financial institutions.

For more complex tax situations, you'll need additional documents like your mortgage statement or other detailed financial information.

GEN88778