I was in college in 2013 and 2014 but I did not apply for the American Opportunity Credit. How do I amend my previous tax returns to get a refund

Answer

Once a tax returned has been filed, you cannot make changes. If you have realized that you have made a mistake (example: forgotten to report a W2), your job now is to wait to see if the IRS accepts it.

·       If the IRS accepts your current year tax return, you will want to submit an amended 2016 tax return to correct the tax return.

·       If the IRS rejects your current year tax return, you will have the opportunity to fix the mistake using TurboTax and then e-file the corrected version.

To check the status of your tax return, use the "Where's my Refund" tool provided by the IRS in the following link.https://www.irs.gov/Refunds 

Important:  TurboTax can help you file your amendment. To learn more about amending your tax return, please review the information in the following link. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend-my-tax-return

Click or tap a tax year for specific amending instructions.

·       2016

·       2015

·       2014

·       2013

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
Member

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default