What do I need from Uber to file my taxes?
In order to file your taxes, you’ll need these items from Uber:
- Your Uber Income Forms
- Your Uber Yearly Summary
You may have one or both of these forms from Uber.
You can download both of these forms when you are logged in to Uber.com. Select Tax Information at the top, and then go to the Tax Documents section.
- 1099-K – Your driving income
- This includes the amounts paid by riders (the gross fares for your rides), as well as fees related to that driving income, like tolls, sales tax, city fees, airport fees, split fare fees, safe rides fees, and booking fees. You’ll be able to enter these items as expenses elsewhere on your return and you won’t pay taxes on them.
- This includes items like referrals fees, incentives, prizes, and awards, and miscellaneous income over $600.
You need to report all Uber income – whether or not you received income forms, and whether or not all of your Uber income is shown on the forms.
- Be sure to report any referral fees, incentives, prizes, and awards and miscellaneous income from Uber or any cash tips that are not reported on your 1099-K or 1099-MISC.
- If you earned $600 or less from Uber, you may not receive a 1099-MISC--You still need to report this income.
Your Yearly Summary for 2018 is also found on the Tax Information page, in the Tax Documents section, when you are signed into Uber.com. You can download this summary.
While it’s not an official tax document, the Yearly Summary includes:
- All of the items that went into your 1099 forms and any income you were paid through Uber that was not reported on a 1099 form (for example, if you had referral fees of $500 it wouldn’t generate a 1099-MISC, but these fees would be listed on your Yearly Summary).
- Expenses you paid to Uber like tolls, Safe Rides fees, and split fare fees. These expenses were taken out by Uber before they paid you. You will account for these expenses on your return.
- Your on-trip mileage and other information related to trips you completed.
- How do I enter my expenses from my Uber Tax Summary in TurboTax Online?
- If I didnt get a 1099-MISC, do I still need to report the income? Even if its less than $600?
- How do I enter a 1099-K in TurboTax Online?
- Why is my Uber 1099-K different from what I actually got paid?
- Where do I enter my Lyft/Uber income?