What is a mortgage origination date and why are you asking for it?
It’s the date you took out your loan, or refinanced it (if you did so).
It should be in Box 3 of your 1098 (from your lender). But you can also get it from your:
- Lender or loan administrator’s website
- Loan closing documents (HUD-1 Settlement Statement)
- Loan administrator or servicer
- Monthly mortgage statement
We need your mortgage origination date for a couple of reasons:
- To figure out your deduction if you’re amortizing your points (i.e., spreading your points across the life of your loan). To get this right, we need the date to be accurate.
- If you took out your loan before 2007, then you can’t deduct any mortgage insurance premiums you paid.