TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
9 people found this useful

How do I import or enter my W-2?

This year we've made importing your W-2 info into TurboTax easier than ever before! You can successfully import your W-2 info directly from your employer.

  • To use the import feature, your employer needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner. We’ll determine this by the EIN (Employer Identification Number) you enter.

If TurboTax doesn't recognize your employer's EIN for any reason, you can snap a photo of your W-2 using the TurboTax Mobile App (see Related Information below).

Of course, you can always choose to manually enter the information from your W-2 into TurboTax.

Let's import your W-2!

  1. Open your return in TurboTax. 
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Tap the menu icon in the upper left.
  3. Select Federal Taxes, and then Wages & Income.
  4. Now in the Wages & Salaries section, select Wages and Salaries.
  5. W-2 screen will open. On this screen you can add, edit or delete a W-2 as necessary. Select Add, or Edit.
  6. Enter the 9-digit Employer ID Number from your W-2, then swipe left to the next screen.
    • If your employer is a TurboTax partner, we will lead you through the steps to import your W-2.
    • If your employer is not a TurboTax partner, or if you're otherwise unable to import your W-2:
      • You'll be prompted to either Snap a photo of your W-2, or enter your W-2 info manually.

Or you can manually enter your W-2:

If you don't have your employer's EIN or would prefer to skip the import options, you can manually enter your W-2 info: Just follow the steps above: You can either enter the Employer ID Number or skip that screen; either way you will then have the option to enter your W-2 manually. 

Requirements to successfully import your W-2 directly from your employer

  • Your payroll provider needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner (we determine this by your employer's EIN)
  • Your W-2 must be available for import – most are ready by February 1, and some are disabled after the April filing deadline
  • We'll need the Box 1 amount from your W-2
  • You can also use the YTD (Year to Date) gross income from your year-end paystub. More info
  • In some cases, we'll need the Box d Control Number from your W-2, but only if your payroll provider requires this for the import (not all of them do).