How do I import or enter my W-2?
You can import your W-2 info directly from your employer.
To use the import feature, your employer needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner. We’ll determine this by the EIN (Employer Identification Number) you enter. If TurboTax doesn't recognize your employer's EIN, you can snap a photo of your W-2 using the TurboTax mobile app or manually enter the information from your W-2 into TurboTax.
- Open your return in TurboTax. (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select the Take me to my return button.)
- Select the menu icon in the upper left.
- Select Federal, and then Wages & Income.
- Find the Wages and Salaries section and select Wages and Salaries.
- A W-2 screen will open. On this screen you can add, edit, or delete a W-2. Select Add or the three dots next to the name of a W-2 you've already entered to Edit.
- Enter the 9-digit Employer ID Number from your W-2, then swipe left to the next screen.
- If your employer is a TurboTax partner, we will lead you through the steps to import your W-2.
- If your employer is not a TurboTax partner, or if you're otherwise unable to import your W-2 you'll be prompted to either Snap a photo of your W-2 or Type it in.
If you don't have your employer's EIN or would prefer to skip the import options, just skip that screen. You'll then have the option to type in your W-2 information manually.
- Your payroll provider needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner (we determine this by your employer's EIN).
- Your W-2 must be available for import. Most are ready by February 1, and some are disabled after the April filing deadline.
- We'll need the Box 1 amount from your W-2.
- You can also use the YTD (Year to Date) gross income from your year-end paystub.
- In some cases, we'll need the Box d Control Number from your W-2, but only if your payroll provider requires this for the import (not all of them do).