How do I import or enter my W-2?
This year we've made importing your W-2 info into TurboTax easier than ever before! You can successfully import your W-2 info directly from your employer.
- To use the import feature, your employer needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner. We’ll determine this by the EIN (Employer Identification Number) you enter.
If TurboTax doesn't recognize your employer's EIN for any reason, you can snap a photo of your W-2 using the TurboTax Mobile App (see Related Information below).
Of course, you can always choose to manually enter the information from your W-2 into TurboTax.
Let's import your W-2!
- Open your return in TurboTax.
(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
- Tap the menu icon in the upper left.
- Select Federal Taxes, and then Wages & Income.
- Now in the Wages & Salaries section, select Wages and Salaries.
- A W-2 screen will open. On this screen you can add, edit or delete a W-2 as necessary. Select Add, or Edit.
- Enter the 9-digit Employer ID Number from your W-2, then swipe left to the next screen.
- If your employer is a TurboTax partner, we will lead you through the steps to import your W-2.
- If your employer is not a TurboTax partner, or if you're otherwise unable to import your W-2:
- You'll be prompted to either Snap a photo of your W-2, or enter your W-2 info manually.
Or you can manually enter your W-2:
If you don't have your employer's EIN or would prefer to skip the import options, you can manually enter your W-2 info: Just follow the steps above: You can either enter the Employer ID Number or skip that screen; either way you will then have the option to enter your W-2 manually.
- Your payroll provider needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner (we determine this by your employer's EIN)
- Your W-2 must be available for import – most are ready by February 1, and some are disabled after the April filing deadline
- We'll need the Box 1 amount from your W-2
- You can also use the YTD (Year to Date) gross income from your year-end paystub. More info
- In some cases, we'll need the Box d Control Number from your W-2, but only if your payroll provider requires this for the import (not all of them do).