How do I import or enter my W-2 in TurboTax Online?
Importing your W-2 info into TurboTax is easy. You can import your W-2 info directly from your employer.
To use the import feature, your employer needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner. We’ll determine this by the EIN (Employer Identification Number) you enter.
If TurboTax doesn't recognize your employer's EIN, you can snap a photo of your W-2 using the TurboTax mobile app. You can also manually enter the information from your W-2 into TurboTax.
To import your W-2:
- Open your return in TurboTax (select the Take me to my return button).
- Using the search feature in the upper right, search for W-2 and select the Jump to link in the search results.
- Select Work on my W-2.
- If you've previously added a W-2 to your return, you'll come to the Here's your W-2 info screen. Select Add another W-2 to add your W-2.
- Enter the 9-digit Employer ID Number from your W-2 and select Continue.
- If your employer is a TurboTax partner, we'll lead you through the steps to import your W-2.
- If your employer is not a TurboTax partner, or if you're otherwise unable to import your W-2 you can snap a photo of your W-2 using the TurboTax mobile app or manually enter your W-2.
If you're accessing TurboTax Online on your phone through a web browser instead of from a computer, you'll have the option to snap a photo without using the TurboTax mobile app.
To manually enter your W-2:
If you don't have your employer's EIN or prefer to skip the import options, you can manually enter the info from your W-2 instead. Follow Steps 1-3 above. At Step 4, if you can't import your W-2 or if you select Continue without entering an EIN, you'll come to Let's type in the rest of your W-2 info screen where you can manually enter your information.
- Your payroll provider needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner (we determine this by your employer's EIN).
- Your W-2 must be available for import. Most are ready by February 1 and some are disabled after the April filing deadline.
- We'll need the Box 1 amount from your W-2.
- You can also use the year-to-date (YTD) gross income from your year-end paystub.
- In some cases, we'll need the Box d Control Number from your W-2, but only if your payroll provider requires this for the import (not all of them do).